Keeping Your Cannabis Fresh and Potent! -- Top 10 Cannabis Storage Tips
All cannabis products sold at Delta 9 have a “Packaged On” date, and with proper storage you can keep your stash fresh and potent for a year or longer! The key factors to consider when storing your cannabis are heat, light and humidity, all of which can degrade quality.
If you store your cannabis properly, it will maintain its fragrance, resin and cannabinoids. It will also burn nice and slow, just the way you like it. If you store your cannabis improperly, it can become overly dry, lose its potency, burn like paper and become irritating to smoke. Conversely, if your cannabis is too moist, you run the risk of introducing mould.
The best way to ensure your stash stays in excellent condition is to store it in a coloured, air-tight glass jar, in a cool, dark, dry place, or in a specially designed cannabis storage unit. But there’s more...
Top 10 Cannabis Storage Tips:
- Store in Air-Tight Glass Jars or Specially Designed Cannabis Storage Units – Air-tight glass jars are perfect for keeping your cannabis fresh. Glass also has no effect on the odour of your cannabis, but it does prevent that odour from drifting throughout your home (as much as you might like that!) Dark or coloured glass is best, as clear glass may allow too much light, which can degrade trichomes. Specially designed cannabis storage units are excellent alternatives and make it even easier to maintain ideal humidity levels.
- Do Not Use Plastic Containers for Long-Term Storage – Plastic containers can expose your stash to degradation by light, air, and temperature fluctuations. Plastic baggies should also be avoided. Not only do baggies make your cannabis easily crushable, removing potent trichomes, they can also have a negative effect on taste overtime. And they are certainly not discreet.
- Store In a Cool Dark Place – Cannabis should stored in a cool, dark place with a temperature ranging from 40-72 degrees F (4.4-22 degrees C). Exposure to light over time can break down cannabinoids, negatively effect terpene profiles and reduce potency. Excessive heat can ruin the potency of trichomes and reduce resin, resulting in harsh smoke and an unpleasant flavor. Think a cupboard, closet, or drawer that is in area with a stable temperature.
- Store at Proper Humidity – The ideal humidity range for storing cannabis is between 59-63%, which maintains freshness and resin integrity. Excess moisture can cause dangerous bacteria and mold to form, and conversely, if your cannabis becomes too dry, terseness and cannabis can be degraded. Properly-maintained moisture levels can keep your cannabis fresh, potent and aromatic for up to a year and longer.
- Do Not Store in a Fridge or Freezer – Freezing cannabis will make it brittle and trichomes will break off, reducing potency. Temperature and humidity can also fluctuate in your fridge, which in increases the possibility of mold and mildew.
- Store Different Strains Separately – Each cannabis strain has its own set of characteristics and should be stored in its own container in an effort to maintain this uniqueness. Cannabis strains should not be mixed with each other.
- Store Buds Intact without Excess Handling – Over handling can cause the loss of trichomes and decrease the potency of your cannabis. Use a minimum of handling to preserve trichomes, cannabis and terseness.
- Do Not Store with Accessories – The smell of burned cannabis from partially smoked joints, pipes and bongs will have a negative effect on the odors you enjoy from fresh cannabis.
- Do Not Use a Tobacco Humidor – Often made from cedar wood, the oil from tobacco humidors can absorb into cannabis, reducing and changing its penetrate profile and flavour.
- Consider Specially Designed Cannabis Storage Units – Delta 9 carries a number of specially designed cannabis storage units that can be used in conjunction with humidity control packs. If you’re a cannabis “cannasseur” these beautifully designed storage units are definitely worth considering!
Delta 9 Cannabis Storage Products
Vault w/ Beloved – The personal Vault is constructed of 18/10 food grade stainless steel; with an airtight container that is impenetrable by light. This personal storage is light weight and durable; this is now the ultimate storage solution container for your personal curing needs.
Astrologist Silver-ton – As a tribute to Colorado’s mining heritage and its herbal heritage, the Silver-ton conquers new frontiers, is smell-proof and lockable. Be organized, safe, secure, and discreet. The “silver lining” and rubber seals, blocks odors and is cleanable! Includes a metal poker and an Pandora (odor absorbing packet).
RYOT® Glass Top Shaker Box and Slim Shaker Box – RYOT® Glass Top Boxes are constructed of quality wood with each layer firmly attached magnetically. Their mono filament screen and ultra smooth base tray make them the perfect option for collecting botanical concentrates no matter what your blend of choice may be!
Integral Boost 2-Way Humidity Control Packs – Integral Boost 2-way humidity control packs are used to control moisture in an enclosed area. Their patented technology will either release or absorb moisture, maintaining relative humidity at 62% in a contained environment.